Friday, March 26, 2010

This one is for Carl S...

Ok, so I had a booth next to Carl Strong at this years NAHBS and he brought up an old discussion we had on one of the forums; the advantages of pulsed tig welding vs. straight amperage welding.  Carl promised if I secured a space next to him for Austin's get together, he'd give me a pulser to step into a new realm of welding.  Not one to back down on an opportunity, I threw down my money, squated next to Carl and Loretta for 2011, and promised to funk up the weekend with a disco ball, groovy tunes, and my new pulser :)

What I did not share is that I've had a pulser all along, I've just never pushed the magic button.  More because you run faster with what you know, but also because I'm getting older and crotchety and don't like messing with what's fast and comfortable.  So today, after lying around the house for the morning, I could not stand it any longer.  Although I watched two episodes of American Pickers on History Channel online (a new favorite show), I had to get to doing something.  So I got Christi to drive me to the shop and I tried a little work...welding on some bars and laying down the final clear on Steve's frame.  Turns out it was a bad idea, as I obviously over did it, but anyhoo, I've got a picture to share.

One weld is pulsed, the other is straight amperage with rhythmic rod feed, can you tell which is which?

Gonna work on a painting vid over the weekend so I don't get too bored as I heal up.  Also going to help Steve build up his bike tomorrow.  I'll check in with y'all soon.

rody

6 comments:

Vertigo Cycles said...

I'm going pulsed for the one on the left.

Unknown said...

I'm saying pulsed on the right.

rmb said...

Pulsed left as the right looks more like my ti Groovy bar.

Unknown said...

Pulse welded on the left. Both look great!

KampGnar said...

Pulsed bead on the left, the HAZ is inconsistent and smaller in size, tighter bead spacing, inconsistent shoulders.

Straight amps on the right, bead spacing and shoulder width is more consistent,looks more like Rody.

Although, could be totally off the mark with one in the foreground and the other in the background.

Rody said...

and the answer is...

pulsed on left, straight current on right.

Thanks for playing along :)