Saturday, December 27, 2008

Grandeur blue for Christmas...

Joe B was planning on stopping by to pick up his lugged frame, so I fit in some early morning and late night work around Christmas day.

Last we left off, his frame and fork were sprayed up in primer awaiting the birth of character with some color, so I sanded it down a bit and got to work. I'm going to be using a Radiance multi coat color, Grandeur Blue, that requires very even application or there will be variation in the gradients of blue on the tubes.

First three coats were with a metallic sterling silver are laid down nice and even...

Flash baked for 15 minutes between coats...
Then six even coats of blue are systematically laid down, the color getting darker and deeper with each successive layer until you reach the shade desired.
Once the color is down, the first layer of clear is applied, really bringing out the depth of finish.
The first sanding of the clear is done VERY carefully; if you sand through to the color it can not be touched up as the final shade is achieved after multiple coats, so the whole shebang would need to be stripped and re-shot. This is amplified with the sharp edges of the lugs, as it does not take much pressure or sanding to cut through the microscopic layers of paint.
Once sanded the decals are applied...here is a shot of a standard vinyl decal and transfer sheet being laid down.
Once down on the frame, the decal is debased with a plastic applicator and then the transfer sheet carefully removed.
Three more coats of clear/sanding/baking follow...
The final product...
While I was waiting on the frame to flash out in the bake box, I built up Eric's wheels and the wheels for one of the show bikes...
XTR centerlock's with DT Comp spokes and ZTR tubeless rims...
King Navy blue disc hubs with DT swiss Comps and ZTR rims...

Finally, I started off the day with a bang...it was 0430 and I walked into the paint booth with all the lights off this morning and BANG, I ran straight into the ceiling mounted paint fixture, knocked me to the floor!
I did not realize I was too beat up until I came home and the kids said there was blood all over me...cut my ear and my eye and will be sporting a bit of a bruise :) ... ah, the dangers of of the bicycle industry.
See y'all tomorrow,
rody

1 comment:

cyclewrench said...

Quick question if you dont mind, I am having a booth installed next week, I want to build a bake box. If you have any suggestions on construction, temp ranges and bake times I would greatly appreciate it, just email me at cyclewrench@gmail.com. Your work is beautiful!